Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Wi Air Force's Scare-Mongering Space Ad Shoves Facts Out of the Airlock

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 12:37:40 -0700

From: DV Henkel-Wallace [gumby () henkel-wallace org]
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2008 3:25 PM
To: farber1 () byrden com
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Wi Air Force's Scare-Mongering Space Ad Shoves Facts Out of the Airlock

I've wondered about this scenario when I was a kid.  It seems likely that the most desirable orbits will fill up with
junk; even in the exploding-stationary case stuff exploding in directions other than axially will  shift around and
take millennia to clear up.  In which case: does it become impossible to fly out for a while ( == centuries) after a
war?   Would all launches have to be polar (== most expensive)?

Presumably an attack like this screws the attacker too.  No matter what sort of nasty you are you probably want your
own communications and weather satellites.  At least, I hope so.