Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Fed Internet Sales Taxes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:32:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ronald J Riley (RJR-com)" <rjr () rjriley com>
Date: May 21, 2008 3:41:22 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Fed Internet Sales Taxes

Dave, for IP if you wish.

John Levine <johnl () iecc com> said: "If online stores can't exist in 2008 without an artificial 5% or 8% price advantage due
to tax quirks, they're in the wrong business."

This is making an assumption which is flat out wrong. On small dollar orders the shipping costs are often greater than the sales tax and when making a purchasing decision I consider them to be a tradeoff.

On big ticket items shipping often dwarfs the sales tax (a riding lawnmower for example) and one may prefer a local service provider.

So charging sales tax on mail order items will put the mail order provider at a serious disadvantage.

Another poster already commented on the issue of company size. Mail order allows me to patronize smaller suppliers who often give much better service than a large entity like Sears whose service is downright atrocious.

I own a farm and I cannot tell you how many times I have gone to a local Tractor Supply (TSC) stores to find that they do not have the item in stock. Then they refer me to another store, say 30-50 miles away. When I get there they may not have it. In one case I spent the better part of a whole day going to a total of four TSC stores to get the items I needed. Needless to say I now order much of that kind of product from a mail order supplier who has all the product I order on hand and gets it to me in about three days without all the grief.

I see the same kind of crappie service at Lowes and Home Depot, both of whom will keep you on the phone for twenty or more minutes just to get a price and most of the time the person answering is not knowledgeable about the products. They often give wrong information which causes me to waste time and money.

It is a fact that all bureaucracies will grow to consume all available resources. Local establishments can effectively compete by having stock on hand and giving good service. If they do not stock what I need then why should they or local government profit?

Ronald J. Riley,

Speaking only on my own behalf.
Affiliations:
President - www.PIAUSA.org - RJR at PIAUSA.org
Executive Director - www.InventorEd.org - RJR at InvEd.org
Senior Fellow - www.patentPolicy.org
President - Alliance for American Innovation
Caretaker of Intellectual Property Creators on behalf of deceased founder Paul Heckel
Washington, DC
Direct (202) 318-1595 - 9 am to 9 pm EST.