Interesting People mailing list archives

Fed Internet Sales Taxes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:12:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: May 21, 2008 11:54:04 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Fed Internet Sales Taxes

I hear this a lot and I always wonder: Will they tax 800-number orders
as well?  They are the same thing, just two ways to get a company to
mail you a product.  The "web" is just a way to remove the human
operator from a mail order service.

The Quill case, which is the 1992 case the article refers to, was about paper mail order catalogs, presumably with telephone ordering, since the
catalogs that Quill sends me have always had a phone number to call.

I've never understood why this sales tax question has been framed as
an Internet issue, when in fact it applies equally to mail order
catalog sales, which are still about the same size as online sales.  I
suppose online stores are new and sexy while mail order is so 19th
century.  But the tax issues are the same.

Incidentally, I've been making the same points this article does for
many years.  A decade on the board of my village, including three
years as mayor, let me see up close and personal how unfair it is to
both the local services that are paid for by sales tax (most of our
budget goes to police, fire, and public works) and to the local
merchants who have collected the taxes all along.  If online stores
can't exist in 2008 without an artificial 5% or 8% price advantage due
to tax quirks, they're in the wrong business.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl () iecc com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies", Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex- Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.