Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "Redacted" DoJ PDFs still leaking confidential data

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 17:39:08 -0700

From: Steven M. Bellovin [smb () cs columbia edu]
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:21 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: peter () peterswire net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   "Redacted" DoJ PDFs still leaking confidential data

On Sat, 17 May 2008 17:07:40 -0700
David Farber <dave () farber net> wrote:

In light of the government tendency to err on the side of secrecy,
could Matt or other readers point us to high-quality and easy-to-use
ways to redact government (or other) documents?  Do changes need to
be made to widely-used word processing and similar software?

Matt's blog posting points to an NSA guide on the subject:
http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/dod/nsa-redact.pdf

The instructions were, as far as I know, correct in late 2005 when they
came out.  Tools have changed since then, and it was never a
high-assurance solution.  Here is a brief mailing list discussion about
that document.

---