Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "Redacted" DoJ PDFs still leaking confidential data

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 17:39:28 -0700

From: Matt Blaze [mab () crypto com]
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:12 PM
To: Peter Swire
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] "Redacted" DoJ PDFs still leaking confidential data

Hi Peter,

The problem arises from ad-hoc methods of redacting, such as pasting
boxes
over redacted text.  There are easy (but apparently not widely known)
ways to do it better.  The NSA has a redaction manual (linked in the
blog post below), and the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat has
a "redaction" function built in.

-matt