Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Geert Wilders Decide for yourself if it is hate speech or free speech.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:44:01 -0700

From: Rich Kulawiec [rsk () gsp org]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 11:21 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: dss902
Subject: Re: [IP] Geert Wilders Decide for yourself if it is hate speech or free speech.

But these ("hate speech", "free speech") are not mutually exclusive;
I would argue that is impossible to have truly "free speech" unless one
allows what is sometimes referred to as "hate speech".  Not (as I hope
everyone knows) that I'm in favor of bigotry, racism, sexism, etc.;
but I want it up-front and center where it presents a nice big target
for rebuttal and sarcasm.  The most evil proponents of pure hatred are
helpless in the face of good comedy.

---Rsk