Interesting People mailing list archives

Sony BMG Caught Pirating Software

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:51:09 -0700

From: K.E. [admin () edu-cyberpg com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 11:17 AM
To: ip () v2 listbox com; David Farber
Subject: Sony BMG Caught Pirating Software

Sony BMG Caught Pirating Software - mike masnick
http://techdirt.com/articles/20080330/235610700.shtml

from the funny-how-that-works dept
Wouldn't you know it? The organizations who scream the loudest about how unauthorized copies are "theft" and how
"piracy" is destroying their industries are just as likely to get caught making unauthorized copies themselves. In the
past, for example, we've pointed out that the MPAA was using
software<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070219/002554.shtml> in an unauthorized manner, and also that it had made
unauthorized copies<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060124/0928244.shtml> of a movie, against the demands of the
movie's producer. Now, we find out (via Slashdot<http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/30/1856232&from=rss>)
that Sony BMG has been caught in a BSA raid with a ton of unauthorized
software<http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9362/Sony%20BMG%20Sued%20for%20Software%20Piracy%20-%20Assets%20Seized> --
potentially up to 47% of the software at the offices. Now, I tend to think that BSA raids are highly
questionable<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071126/024312.shtml>, but if it's true that Sony BMG is using
unauthorized software, the company has some explaining to do. It's one of the major labels and has been a huge
supporter of the RIAA's "anti-piracy" campaign. For a company so adamantly against piracy, it seems rather telling that
it can't live up to its own standards. Considering the RIAA has been pushing for Congress to increase the statutory
fines for copyright infringement, perhaps Sony would like to set a good example and pay at the high end of the range.

---

Karen Ellis

<© >~~~~~<© >~~~~~<© >~~~~~<© >~~~~~<© >~~~~~<© >
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

National Children's Folksong Repository
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/NCFR/

Educational CyberPlayGround Blog
http://blog.edu-cyberpg.com/

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty