Interesting People mailing list archives

Yahoo to Eliminate 'Adult' Profiles

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 05:24:56 -0700

From: Jeff Schult [jss () tftb com]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:11 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Yahoo to Eliminate 'Adult' Profiles

I got an e-mail from Yahoo today telling me that the company is eliminating "adult profiles" for members as of April 9.

Obviously, this affects a vast number of people who make their living taking off their clothes in front of webcams,
other exhibitionists and those who care about or even love them. Yahoo says in the e-mail that it is eliminating the
whole category of 'adult' profiles, and will delete, on April 9, all photos on adult profiles. The implication is that
the profiles will otherwise remain intact.

However, Yahoo says nothing in the email about the implication of its action for Yahoo Groups -- a very large number
require a Yahoo adult profile as a condition to join. This includes a multitude of pornography groups, yes. But in my
experience it also includes a significant number of groups that are forums for discussing such things as plastic
surgery, or breast cancer, etc. -- groups to which "adult" images are posted.

So it appears, at first glance, to be a step with more implications than just eradicating a community of pornophiles
... I realize that not all would find *that* alarming enough.

Discussed at:

http://www.jeffschult.com/blog/?p=70

-jeff

Jeff Schult