Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Whack-A-Mole Method of Ending Hate In Our Time

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:39:02 -0700

From: Gene Spafford [spaf () cerias purdue edu]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 11:28 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   The Whack-A-Mole Method of Ending Hate In Our Time

On Mar 24, 2008, at 11:18 AM, David Reed wrote:

All *men* are endowed with certain inalienable rights.  Corporations
are
not.

If you believe this (and it is not a global belief) I suggest that it
should be "All PEOPLE"
Too many cultures believe that women have no rights, and we should be
especially sensitive to the usage of the pronouns.  Children also are
often not considered "persons" with any rights at all.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment -- simply pointing
out that there is a certain aspect of relativism to your statement,
and a concern that we continue to be aware of some cultural
differences, even if we don't necessarily subscribe to them.

Of course, promoting the idea that women (and children) also have
rights and are people betrays my own particular bias, but I freely
admit it.