Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: blank media fees

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:43:57 -0700

From: WJCarpenter [bill-ip () carpenter org]
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:49 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: [IP] blank media fees

Incidentally, I *do* object to paying increased prices for my blank media because other people have made illegal
copies on similar media.

An amusing side-bar on a pragmatically failed intellectual property idea

There are these rare few machines which are dedicated CD recorders.  I
think these were invented before the dawn of the age when everyone had a
CD burner on their computer.  The dedicated CD recorders can only use
blanks with the logo "Compact Disc Audio".  They bluntly reject other CD
blanks.  If you look hard enough, you can still find blanks of CD Audio
(they're still needed by those souls who bought the machines, and they
are sometimes bought by technically naive folks who come to believe they
need those blanks if they are going to burn audio CDs).  They cost more
than blanks you might be using in your PC (partly because of the royalty
payment built in, partly now due to the increased production and sales
inefficiencies of a slow-moving item).

[[I actually know nothing factual about this and have only reverse
engineered the facts from observations.]]