Interesting People mailing list archives

Pakman on Music Fee

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:24:28 -0700

From: Mary Shaw [mary.shaw () gmail com]
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:15 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: : Pakman on Music Fee

Dave,

Jim makes an incorrect analogy to libraries ...

They purchase one or more copies of a book, then lend those copies.  This is, as best I understand, entirely
appropriate under the Doctrine of First Sale.  The libraries do not create new copies, they create access to purchased
copies -- and they are (or at least used to be) sensitive to photocopying.

Even for electronic books, they try to preserve that model.  My local library (Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh) lends
electronic books -- but (a) you have to use their reader; (b) your loan is for a definite period and your copy expires
(in two weeks, IIRC), (c) if all the "copies" (licenses) of a book are checked out you can get on a  waiting list. The
one obvious defect of this replication of the physical-book model is that they haven't made provisions to "return" the
book early.

In the world of commercially-published scientific journals, the market is so distorted that only libraries can afford
the subscriptions, and major research libraries pay those subscriptions and license access for affiliated researchers.
This is widely recognized as seriously broken, because it creates an elite class of access. There is pushback now, with
funding agencies and researchers demanding free access to their published research.  Similarly, there is increasing
pressure to provide free access to legal decisions (for example, as noted in a message you sent recently).

I find it curious that the discussions of electronic sharing of IP never seem to consider all these examples. Maybe
looking at more than one use case would be revealing.

Incidentally, I *do* object to paying increased prices for my blank media because other people have made illegal copies
on similar media.

Mary Shaw