Interesting People mailing list archives

"The ID Divide"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 08:45:30 -0700

From: Peter Swire [peter () peterswire net]
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 11:28 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: "The ID Divide"

Hi Dave:

Perhaps of interest to your list, this week we released a report on “The ID Divide: Addressing the Challenges of
Identification and Authentication in American Society.”

The report is at http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2008/06/id_divide.html.

A resource page on identification/authentication is at http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2008/06/id_resources.html.

Your readers are familiar with the “digital divide,” where life is quite different for those with great broadband vs.
those with limited or no access to computing.  The idea of the “ID Divide” is that there are growing problems for those
who face problems proving their identity -- over 20 million American adults lack government-issued photo ID; identity
theft hits over 8 million people/year; and the no-fly list will go over 1 million names this year.

The report grows out of a project at the Center for American Progress where we included experts from a wide range of
areas affected by identification: national/homeland security; immigration; voting; online authentication; e-health
records; computer security; privacy; and civil liberties.  The goal was to help create a unified approach for
addressing these issues.

Thanks,

Peter

Prof. Peter P. Swire
C. William O'Neil Professor of Law
   Moritz College of Law
   The Ohio State University
Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress
(240) 994-4142, www.peterswire.net