Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: whether prices are excessive.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:43:41 -0700

From: Tony Lauck [tlauck () madriver com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:34 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] whether prices are excessive.

Organizations tend to perpetuate themselves, including their outdated
cost structures. Unfortunately, in the marketplace avoidable costs don't
justify high prices, although organizations would like to believe this.
For example, oil companies have recently claimed that their prices
aren't really excessive, because their profit margins remain low. They
don't mention that their cost structure includes palatial headquarters
and high priced executives. As another example, some large charitable
organizations maintain a "non-profit" status by spending money on luxury
hotels for their workers instead of improving the lot of destitute
disaster victims.

In the case of Mary Shaw's textbook model two thirds of the price goes
to manufacturing and distribution. These costs are largely avoided by
Internet distribution. In addition, part of the publisher's investment
goes for fronting the printing, and this also could be reduced by online
distribution.

Once unnecessary costs have been removed the marketplace may decide how
much of a premium to pay for some of the remaining costs, e.g. some of
the editing and reviewing costs. Internet music sites pay the artists
over 50% of the purchase price and I think that that is something that
could happen in the book marketplace as well. Many fewer people would
"protest" if they believed that their money was going where it belonged,
to the content creators, rather than to rent-seeking quasi-monopolists.

Tony Lauck
www.aglauck.com