Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: whether prices are excessive.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:12:16 -0700

From: Tilghman Lesher [tilghman () mail jeffandtilghman com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:22 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] whether prices are excessive.

Dave-

From my experience in the book industry, the dividing lines for textbooks
are completely out of line with the general book industry.  I worked for one
of the major booksellers in the country, and at least for us, most books were
obtained from the wholesaler at 50% off the retail cost.  This was not the
case for textbooks.  Textbooks were obtained from the wholesaler at only 10%
off the retail cost.  You'll see a ton of general books on the market
discounted at different rates, all under that 50% mark which constitutes the
profit margin for the bookseller, but textbooks are never discounted at all.