Interesting People mailing list archives

National LambdaRail to Provide Optical Network Services to the Global Environment for Network Innovations

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:47:24 -0700

From: Tom West [tom.west () nlr net]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:28 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: National LambdaRail to Provide Optical Network Services to the Global Environment for Network Innovations

Dear Dave:

Yesterday, NLR and GENI jointly announced that NLR is offering use of 30 Gbps of Layer 2 and Layer 3 optical services
to GENI contractors.   NLR was built to provide the network customization that researchers and educators need. Along
with our Regional Optical Network members, we continually strive to find optical solutions to meet the requirements of
our user communities.

I've attached the press release below to provide additional information. If you are interested in more details about
these services and our future work with GENI, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Susan
editor () nlr net
Cambridge, MA, and Cypress, CA, July 30th – National LambdaRail, Inc. (NLR) and BBN Technologies (BBN) announced today
that NLR will provide strategic optical services on its national optical infrastructure to support the Global
Environment for Network Innovations (GENI) Project Office (GPO), located at BBN, to build and test prototypes of the
GENI system.
NLR is providing up to 30 Gbps of capacity on three different networks provided on NLR infrastructure.  At layer 2, NLR
and Cisco are providing non-dedicated prototype abilities on two unique network infrastructures; FrameNet and CWave.
NLR’s FrameNet will support up to 10 Gbps of  nondedicated configurable Virtual Private Network services to GENI’s
Development and Prototyping engineering teams. Cisco’s CWave will provide up to an additional 10 Gbps on a breakable,
configurable MPLS network – a unique opportunity for teams to test prototype software on a national infrastructure.
The bandwidth will be used by teams of subcontractors working with BBN to test components of GENI. BBN is currently
negotiating with potential subcontractors who responded to the GPO’s solicitation earlier this year and expects to
announce the subcontracts shortly.
“NLR was created to provide configurable, flexible infrastructure for bleeding-edge activities like GENI.”  said Tom
West, CEO, NLR.  “GENI’s engineering teams will find just what they need in the variety of network services available
via NLR – at Layer 2’s FrameNet and CWave and at Layer 3’s PacketNet.  NLR, Cisco and NLR Regional Optical Network
members are looking forward to working with GENI teams to accelerate the next-generation platform for experimentation
in distributed systems and networking.”
Chip Elliott, project director, GPO, noted “We are intensely grateful to NLR for this support of the GENI effort.  One
of our challenges in testing prototypes for GENI was how to link together engineering teams in different parts of the
United States when they were experimenting with non-Internet technologies.  NLR’s participation is an important
contribution to solving that problem. “
About National LambdaRail
National LambdaRail, Inc. (NLR) is a major initiative of U.S. research universities and private sector technology
companies to provide a national scale infrastructure for research and experimentation in networking technologies and
applications. NLR puts the control, the power and the promise of experimental network infrastructure in the hands of
our nation’s scientists and researchers. Visit http://www.nlr.net for more information.
About GENI and the GENI Project Office
GENI, the Global Environment for Network Innovations, is envisioned as a national resource for experiments on a wide
variety of advanced research in communications, networking, distributed systems, cyber-security, and networked services
and applications. It is sponsored by the National Science Foundation.
GENI will afford the research community the opportunity to try out novel ideas and clean-slate designs on a large-scale
real-world environment with real user populations. The GENI Project Office, which is based at BBN Technologies, is
responsible for project management and design of the GENI facility. Visit www.geni.net<http://www.geni.net/> from more
information.
About BBN Technologies<http://www.bbn.com/>
BBN Technologies is a legendary R&D organization that leverages its substantial intellectual property portfolio to
produce advanced, repeatable solutions such as the Boomerang shooter detection system. With expertise spanning
information security, speech and language processing, networking, distributed systems, and sensing and control systems,
BBN scientists and engineers have amassed a substantial collection of innovations and patented solutions. BBN now
employs over 700 people in seven locations in the US: Cambridge, Massachusetts (headquarters); Arlington, Virginia;
Columbia, Maryland; Middletown, Rhode Island; San Diego, California; St. Louis Park, Minnesota; and O’Fallon, Illinois
For more information, visit www.bbn.com<http://www.bbn.com/>.

If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, click
here<http://lists.firstmile.us/SugarOS/removeme.php?identifier=62621fa2-37ef-5dc2-e7e9-489220ddcd9f>