Interesting People mailing list archives

proposed law regarding gun possession in NYS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:47:44 -0800

From: Justin [justin () hush cc]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:45 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: For IP; proposed law regarding gun possession in NYS

Hi Dave,

For IP, if you will;

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A07331&sh=t

IANAL, but a friend of mine who will be directly affected by this proposed law (and is in a bit of a panic; he's a gun
collector focusing on WWI and WWII items) broke it down a bit for me:

New assault weapons ban... Basically it's a cute catch 22. The police have the right to declare what constitutes an
assault weapon, and if you don't have it registered with them prior to April 1, you can't register it, you can't have
it. But they can declare what is or isn't at any time. The police have yet to publish a list because they're not
required to, because it's not a law yet.

If that's accurate, interesting repercussions, especially places upstate where going hunting is a regular thing. One of
my family members is a very avid, lifelong hunter, who before this proposed law, legally possessed numerous firearms.

- JD