Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Your Thermostats or Your Life!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:27:08 -0800

From: Jeffrey I. Schiller [jis () mit edu]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 9:52 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: Michael O'Dell
Subject: Re: Your Thermostats or Your Life!

For IP if you wish.

I would hope that the system has enough dampening in it. Imagine
everyone using the same energy management software at home. When the
price goes up, the demand goes down, the price goes down the demand goes
up!

We know that effects as subtle as the famous "Network Synchronization"
bug can have a large impact. Wonder what happens when a power system
resonates! [hint: I don't really want to know!].

                        -Jeff

this is not to say i'm delighted by the notion of someone turning the
dial for me, but the time is coming when there will be a live data
feed with the instantaneous prices for power. there may be significant
advantages to having active power management in the house so it can
turn the knobs.

        -mo

--
Jeffrey I. Schiller