Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: VERY TRUE Can You Go to Prison for Lying to a Web Site?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 07:00:48 -0800

From: Jonathan Ezor [jezor () tourolaw edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:23 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: dave () wilson net
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:      VERY TRUE Can You Go to Prison for Lying to a Web Site?

At the end of the day, though, regardless of the legal process, the only
thing that can be identified by the ISP will be an account owner, computer
or network, not an individual (unless a Web cam or voice recording was
made).  The rest will take traditional investigation to determine, and
competent prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt (or whatever the
relevant standard).

As I tell my Cyberlaw students (who had to answer a question about this type
of situation on the exam I'm grading now), some situations in cyberspace fit
under existing law, others can if the law stretches, and there are some new
situations where existing law just doesn't seem to fit.  For example, is
stealing virtual items purchased with or exchangable for real money in an
online world theft?  Infringement?  Something else?  Is distributing
thousands of dollars worth of commercial software without compensation a
crime?  (It wasn't a few years ago in the U.S.; it is now, thanks to changes
in the law.)  The challenge is to ensure that those who write the law and
those who enforce it understand both the terminology and the technology
sufficiently to allow the legal system to keep pace with new advancements,
while avoiding a situation where the law or government impede progress.
{Jonathan}
Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
Assistant Professor of Law and Technology
Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
Touro Law Center
225 Eastview Drive, Central Islip, NY  11722
Direct: 631-761-7119  Fax: 516-977-3001