Interesting People mailing list archives

An interesting question for IP?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 16:19:04 -0800

From: John Kemp [john () jkemp net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:01 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: An interesting question for IP?

Hi Dave,

While I was with my family last month, my mum and I had an interesting
discussion. It went (roughly) like this:

Her: "Why bother doing anything to prevent global warming?"
Me: "Because if we all do something, then we'll slow down that trend"
Her: "But so what? Global warming has happened already. What are we
doing to address the things that actually have real implications for the
human race?"
Me: "Like what?"
Her: "Human beings are likely killing the planet. Or, if you prefer not
to accept that theory, then you can just say the planet is clearly
becoming less hospitable to humans in terms of resource shortages and
environmental damage. So what are we doing about that? What happened to
the space race, and colonizing other planets for example?"

So if we accept that global warming is happening, regardless of whether
humans have caused it or not, and that it is a potentially very real
danger to all of us, what are we (as the entire human race) doing to
address the actual concerns?

Slowing down global warming is not the answer is it? Eventually is it
not possible that the human population simply overwhelms our earthly
environment?

Why are we not trying harder to colonize the rest of the universe? Or
are we trying hard enough, and if so, what exactly are we doing?

Cheers,

- John