Interesting People mailing list archives

UK email woes: BT Internet & Email

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:59:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Frode Hegland <frode () hyperwords net>
Date: February 26, 2008 10:57:34 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: UK email woes: BT Internet & Email

Dave,
so we have moved into new offices right in the middle of Soho in London.

It's taken a month for the phone lines to get working, and finally today, internet access was enabled!

So jubilations all around and not so interesting for IP.

However, after loading a few news pages at impressive speed I went to send email. It just wouldn't send. i looked at settings, and all that fun stuff.

So I called BT.

The very nice support guy told me that since I was not using a BT email domain they would have to manually add me to be allowed to send or receive email.

I asked why and he talked about security, network load (YouTube is of course un-restricted and I could watch live video all day long), spam and so on.

I asked him what would happen if a client came to my office and needed to send or receive emails, would that person have to get their domain listed with BT as well? Yes.

What about all the Wifi hotspots where we can email, why is this restricted? He didn't know. How about throttling the amount of messages in a given time? No idea.

Then when I said OK, go ahead, the supervisor, now on the line, couldn't find a whois with my details. I suggested going to Network Solutions but that one is blocked for them. Finally he found one he could use and added it.

I then tried to find out from the supervisor what would happen to a visitor in my office with their own laptop, would they not be able to send email without calling BT to confirm their ownership of their domain name (picture that with a client from IBM say). He said yes.

What a crock. Is this what IP'ers are used to?

And one more thing. I cannot use my SMTP server, so every time I come into the office I need to go to my settings and change my email settings. No SSL, no authentication. They get 'security', I get none.

I have read a lot of back and forth on IP about tackling SPAM and usage of bandwidth. But this is just very restricting.

Or am I wrong and this is just the new reality of sending emails from an office?

Frode Hegland
The Hyperwords Company
www.hyperwords.net

richly interactive text