Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: recs on the history of computing

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:13:30 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: December 24, 2008 12:40:03 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] recs on the history of computing

The history of computing involves many little histories, and most books follow only one thread, often well, often poorly. The worse have been those that try to make a case that some one guy (almost always a guy) "launched it all". This is like blaming antisemitism and ultranationalism on Hitler, who was its creation, not the other way around.

One extremely good capture of a thread was done by historian Thomas P. Hughes in his book Rescuing Prometheus - describing the SAGE project. But there are many, many other good histories of small pieces. The histories of large pieces fail.

The other issue is the question of the history of *computers* vs. history of *computing*. The latter has been transformational, the former, merely a platform for it. As Emerson would put it (viz. his The American Scholar essay), the history of *computing* has been a history of "Man Thinking". But this history is not one of artifacts or prizes won.

Instead of "a book", read the influential thought pieces. The following seven articles/books have been incredible touchstones of computing history, and have shaped it far more than any individual technical achievement, though the engineering has been absolutely essential in forging these visions into forms we see today. If I were to teach a course in the history of computing, I'd start with these. (and perhaps some earlier pieces by Turing and Church and Goedel, but those are really about mathematics in general).

1) Vannevar Bush: "As we may think" The Atlantic Monthly, 1945.

2) Norbert Weiner: "Cybernetics: or control and communication in man and machine", MIT Press, 1948.

3) Claude Shannon: "A mathematical theory of communication." 1948. (Available in annotated book form U. Illinois press, Shannon & Weaver, 1968).

4) John McCarthy: "Programs with common sense". 1959. (reprinted in McCarthy's book called Formalizing Common Sense).

5) Marvin Minsky: "Steps toward Artificial Intelligence", Proc. IRE Jan 1961.

6) Licklider and Taylor, "The Computer as a Communications Device," Science and Technology, April 1968.

7) Alan Kay: "A personal computer for kids of all ages." Xerox PARC, 1972.

- David

Begin forwarded message: