Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: recs on the history of computing

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 06:35:54 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: December 24, 2008 5:52:16 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] recs on the history of computing

Sarah:

Surprisingly little, sad to say. Much of the popular writing about companies and people has been superficial or wrong or both, it seems to me. How can you write about Google and ignore SunSoft (or their customers)?

"The Dream Machine: JCR Licklider and the Revolution the Made Computing Personal" by M. Waldrop is a good place to start. It reminds us that computing is a strategic/military technology and that what is old is new again.

"What the Dormouse Said: How the 60's Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry" by John Markoff reminds us that LSD (also a military technology) and PCs were born in the same test-tube.

"Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital: The Dynamics of Bubbles and Golden Ages" by Carlota Perez shows us how techno-economic paradigms follow a pattern that you can (almost) take to the bank.

Btw, the Synergy phase of the current TEP is due once we get over the current mess.

Mark Stahlman
New York City

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.