Interesting People mailing list archives

Google Wants Its Own Fast Track on the Web - WSJ.comGoogles response --

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:48:35 -0500

I am surprised at the sloppy reporting of the WSJ in hyping what , at least from what I can find out, a "simple" step. Any comments djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Nick Johnson" <arachnid () notdot net>
Date: December 15, 2008 6:19:14 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google Wants Its Own Fast Track on the Web - WSJ.com

Dave,

For IP, if you wish.

This article has been pretty thoroughly debunked - colocating caching machines at ISPs has little to do with network neutrality, and certainly doesn't encourage discrimination. Here's Google's official response:

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2008/12/net-neutrality-and-benefits-of-caching.html

And Lawrence Lessig has written a rebuttal, too:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/12/15/wsj-invents-fictiona.html (linked to BoingBoing, since Lessig's site seems to be down right now).

Full Disclosure: I work for Google, though not in any capacity impinging upon this. My opinions are entirely my own.

-Nick Johnson