Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Darn good question !! New global standard for fully networked home - Industry applauds major breakthrough with revolutionary ITU technology

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:08:01 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: December 12, 2008 3:27:38 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, lsnewmanjr () yahoo com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Darn good question !! New global standard for fully networked home - Industry applauds major breakthrough with revolutionary ITU technology

People (not Stagg specifically, but LOTS of people) love to poke fun at ISO and ITU for their standards development, but the facts don't really support the PR.

The first, and most important thing, is that IETF has turned into just what folks like Rose, Chapin, Padlipsky, Clark, and others said the ITU (CCITT), ISO, IEEE, and ANSI were: overburdened, divorced from reality, slow to standardize, and inefficient. Well, given what has come out of the IETF in recent years (my favorite pet peeve here is IPsec, but there are lots of other examples), it's clear that IETF has no monopoly on writing great standards or standards that people will adopt. In fact, the good standards that we are getting nowadays are either originating in the private sector and moving towards standardization (Cisco seems to contribute a lot of good stuff, as an example) or originating in industry consortia, then moving towards standardization. In neither case is the original research happening in the IETF.

Fundamentally, the "old days" of the IETF being where the smart people got together, hammered something out on the back of a napkin, and went home to implement it the next day, are all over. IETF still has the pile of smart people in it, but the necessary burden of dealing with the massive commercial implications of everything they do has quashed the 'old way' of doing business. It just came to the IETF later than ITU/ISO/IEEE.

The second thing is that the ITU, ISO, and IEEE standards are, in fact, widely implemented where they made sense. Thus, things like ATM to the desktop (which was an IBM application of ATM, not an ITU push) are dead, but ATM itself is very, very much alive and likely keeping more than half the broadband lines in the US running. And anyone who uses DSL or VoIP or uses a cellular phone is living pretty largely in the world of ITU and ISO. Our SSL certificates are X.509 (hmmm. that was part of the ITU effort on email, wasn't it?), and our LDAP directory structures bear a surprising likeness to a whole series of ITU Recommendations.

Yes, it's easy to point at standards that were stupid (X.400), but the record of no standards organization is any better than any other nowadays. Look at the astonishingly fast adoption of IPv6 and you'll see just how relevant the IETF's work has been. My copy of Bradner's IPng book has an October, 1995 stamp on it.

So, if you want to discuss these new standards as standards, from a technical or marketing point of view, feel free to do so. But to somehow dismiss them because of their source is to show technical bigotry and a shallow, out-of-date point of view. (Sorry, Stagg, that's insulting, but so it your note).

jms

Begin forwarded message: