Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast 250GB Cap Goes Live October 1 - Updated: Comcast confirms our story... - dslreports.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:24:43 -0400

THE REPORT PRAISises Comcast for such a generous cap. 1. Will they change their Ads? And when will they start reducing the cap down -- I am sure they will. I point out amount of data is less important to system operation then when the loads are. djf

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/Comcast-250GB-Monthly-Cap-Goes-Live-October-1-97294

Comcast 250GB Cap Goes Live October 1
Updated: Comcast confirms our story...
09:30AM Thursday Aug 28 2008 by Karl Bode
tags: business · bandwidth · cable · Comcast
Back in May I broke the news that in addition to throttling back high- consumption users to "DSL like speeds," Comcast was considering implementing a 250GB monthly cap as part of their shift toward "protocol agnostic" network management. Despite consumer grumbling, that plan is in fact now moving forward. Sources tell me that Comcast will officially announce that they're implementing this new system starting October first.

Originally, the source indicated Comcast was considering charging $15 for each 10 GB over the cap customers travel. A press release should drop shortly confirming whether this is still the case. The source claims there was also consideration of a new system whereby users who received more than four DMCA letters in a twelve month period potentially faced account suspension. That's a risky move I would imagine won't make the final cut.

[2491 bytes]
"The intent appears to be to go after the people who consistently download far more than the typical user without hurting those who may have a really big month infrequently," says an insider familiar with the project, who prefers to remain anonymous. "As far as I am aware, uploads are not affected, at least not initially." According to this source, the new system should only impact some 14,000 customers out of Comcast's 14.1 million users (i.e. the top 0.1%).

<snip>