Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Premier (Diebold) admits to flaw that drops votes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:48:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Cem Kaner <kaner () KANER COM>
Date: August 23, 2008 1:30:31 PM EDT
To: USACM () LISTSERV ACM ORG
Subject: Re: Premier (Diebold) admits to flaw that drops votes

If testing of these machines wasn't:

(a) limited to captive test labs and captive testing consultants
(b) with results protected by nondisclosure agreements

Then we would have known about these bugs a long time ago. How many
elections have been decided by Diebold's bugs instead of by the voters? We will never know, because we are collaborating in building a technological system that actively prevents us from access to the relevant information.

Until we have public access to vital information, we will never have a
reason to trust this technology. Or to trust any of the organizations or
consultants or standards developers involved in qualifying the technology.

Cem Kaner, J.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Software Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology
www.kaner.com
www.testingeducation.org
http://www.satisfice.com/kaner/