Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Premier (Diebold) admits to flaw that drops votes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:45:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "susan l. gerhart" <slger123 () gmail com>
Date: August 23, 2008 3:00:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Premier (Diebold) admits to flaw that drops votes

I am one of the visually impaired Americans who want to vote independently and privately using the assistive capabilities of electronic voting systems. My
experiences with a primary in Arizona are reported in my blog at
http://asyourworldchanges.wordpress.com.

Taking the advice of blindness consumer organizations, I had a preview and hands-on trial at the voting board offices a few months ago. Oh no, it was the infamous diebold system! but voting using a keypad and audio announcements of races and candidates in synthetic and human recorded voices was usable, and pleasant enough, compared to working with someone reading the ballot and
marking my choices.

however, in an apparently simple primary ballot, I fell into a mess with a long series of vacuous write-in races for state offices. I spent about 1/2 hour at the keypad listening to repetitive announcements when there was only one
real contest. Accessibility is a very complex issue.  I feel even worse
thinking my hard-cast vote might be over-written in a buffer.

My most positive experience is that the staff at the voting facility are doing a superb job under conditions i did not understand before my recent early voting exercise. There must be many great stories of election workers as our
line of defense against vendors and system fallibility.

Susan Gerhard
blog: http://asyourworldchanges.wordpress.com