Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSF and the Birth of the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:26:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak () dimebank com>
Date: August 19, 2008 9:18:31 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:     NSF and the Birth of the Internet

Dave,

For IP, if you think it helps illuminate the discussion...

????: First LAN connected to the ARPANET

These dates are going to be difficult to pin down - was it the
PARC "gateway" to Xerox's internal PUP Internet? A connection to
the MIT CHAOSNET? Did this connection have to be via IP, or did
protocol translating gateway count?

I know that I connected the Purdue CS 10Mbps ethernet and proNET to
our IMP in 1982 - both via the BBN-supplied IP gateway code that
ran standalone in a pdp-11/34, and my own in-host gateway that ran
inside the 4.1c kernel (Sam Leffler thought I was crazy for doing that).

But I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the first to make such a connection.
I distinctly remember discussions about proNET with one Mike O'Dell of
LBL...

????: CSnet linked to the ARPANET

CSNET was always linked to the ARPANET. Again, what date would you
like to observe? I might be able to dig out when we (Purdue CS) got
our CSNET-sponsored IMP installed - probably mid- to late-1981.
There were
... four? UDEL, where I was ran the mail relay and had a CSNet sponsored IMP I
MP connections sponsored by CSNET, but not all of them
were new hookups (UWISC was, ours was, certainly RAND's wasn't).
Purdue's role was, largely, to get the IP-over-X.25 code working,
and the majority of the high-speed-desiring CSNET members were
expected to wait until it did.

Best,
Chris (Kent) Kantarjiev