Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSF and the Birth of the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:59:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Date: August 19, 2008 3:31:45 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] NSF and the Birth of the Internet

Dave,

This reminded me of a tidbit you might be interested in: A small history effort among some Rand Corporation old-timers prompted me to record a view of the email
work done while we were both affiliated with Rand, in the mid-1970s.

The article is at:

   <http://bbiw.net/articles/rand-email.pdf>

   A Personal view:
   Impact of Email Work at The Rand Corporation in the mid-1970’s

Surprisingly, I believe NSFNet was one of the benefactors.

By way of introduction:

"By the mid 1970’s Unix was starting to propagate widely, outside of Bell Labs, running on the less expensive DEC PDP-11. Unix was an open platform, with operating system source code provided to organizations licensing it from AT&T. However, its email capabilities were quite primitive. So, Tenex had good email. Unix needed it, and DARPA noted the confluence of folk with email interest who were around Rand Corp. in the summer of 1976. DARPA tasked Rand with producing a fully-capable email system for Unix. The resulting project produced 30 years of
effects. Perhaps more…"

d/

--

 Dave Crocker