Interesting People mailing list archives

MarkMail access to IP list archives --- a challange

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:54:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Date: August 17, 2008 3:11:35 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () oreilly com>, Stewart Baker <stewart.baker () gmail com >

David Farber wrote:
> All on travel etc get returned to Stew. That vio;ates IP privacy
>
> From: Stew
>
> Dave,
>
> I sent this to you, but from the volume of "out of office" messages
> I'm getting back, I suspect that it was treated as a reply all.
> That's the first time that's happened to me.  It's no big deal to me,
> but it does disclose some of the recipients of your valuable emails,
> so you may want to see what happened.
>
> Stewart

Dave,

This is a toughie.

If the original author is shown in the rfc2822.From field, then yes, various automated responses will go to them.

There are two different reactions one can choose to have to this:

1) The automated responses are configured by the owners of the responding systems. If they disclose their existence, that's their choice. In other words, the privacy issues are the same as if the human who owns the responder did a manual reply. I assume you have no problem with a recipient consciously and manually replying to the original author.

2) Recipients do not know enough about, or do not have enough actual control over, their email software. So an automated response really constitutes a violation of privacy and the mediating publisher needs to take (extra) steps to prevent disclosures that are not explicitly the result of direct human action.

Much of the mess of Internet Mail comes from trying to fix systemic problems with local hacks. As a consequence, my own view is that #1 should apply, since I view #2 as really being a hack around unfortunate vacation software. But I certainly see the legitimacy of a view which views privacy protection of the recipient list as so important, pragmatics have to win out over efforts to clean up the system.

I note that old and new IP messages do not set the rfc2822.Sender field. It's possible some of the auto-responding software would use it, in preference to the From: address, but I can't say I'm all that hopeful. In general, vacation programs and are not consistent in their behavior, and they certainly are not designed with a concern about privacy.

Ultimately, that means that the goal of preventing an original author from seeing any final recipient addresses requires keeping the original author address out of any of the standardized rfc2822 address header fields in the IP message. Hence, subscribers to IP are prevented from seeing the actual author's name in the From field.

Personally, I really prefer seeing the author's name. And I really prefer being able to do a direct reply to them, although of course it should be equally easy to include you (ie, the IP admin) in the reply. But, then, I'm not personally all that hung up about this particular privacy issue. (I'm expressing a personal preference, not a judgment about others' preferences.)

There are only three paths I can think of to resolve this:

1. Simple Standardized: Send messages to IP with yourself as the author, and affix the forwarded message as a MIME attachment. (Thunderbird gives you this choice.) This preserves all of the original message's structured identification information, but buries it inside a MIME attachment. Recipients will see Farber as the author, but analysis software can be expected to find the embedded message and process its structured information, since the structure is standardized. Mail software typically can show the attachment as if it were inline; so there is no special effort to see the contents. They also will usually allow 'opening' the attachment with a click, which then enables direct replying.

(The long-standing IP approach is to embed the message inline, but with no MIME demarcation. Hence analysis software would need heuristics to find the embedded message. Yuck.)

2. Author hack: Send messages to IP with all of the original messages' headers preserved EXCEPT to replace the author's email address with IP's. So the author Display Name is preserved but the email address is IP's. The Display Name will show nicely for recipients, but all replies will go to IP. While this has a bit of prettiness, I would expect serious follow-on problems for recipients actually trying to contact the original author. Once can imagine further hacks, but my own experience is that layered hacking falls under its own weight.

3. Subject hack: Put the original author's name as part of the subject line, such as:

Subject: [IP] Stewart Baker - Re: Searching a laptop not same as searching...

This format will defeat threading mechanisms, since the Subject line for each message in the thread will be different. But then, IP has never been all that thread-friendly, so I'm not sure how terrible this would be.

You could combine this method with #1, so that the the original message is preserved in a structured and standardized manner.

Hmmm. I suppose #2, the Author Hack, could be used only for the From: field while doing #1 for the actual original message. That shows the original Author's display name, causes automated replies to go to IP admin, and retains the structured message benefits for analysis and replying. On reflection, I vote for this, since it's still only a one- level hack...

All in all, the requirement that a participant in a group exchange be excluded from received any automated replies sent by final recipients is certainly challenging, if the other display and user commands are to be preserved.

d/

--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking