Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: California Declares Free Market Broken, Recommends Price Controls For Phone Services

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:27:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 16, 2008 12:01:52 PM EDT
To: "'Open Infrastructure Alliance'" <oia () lists bway net>
Subject: Re: [OIA] [IP] California Declares Free Market Broken, Recommends Price Controls For Phone Services

This bounced the first time I sent it to this list

That’s all we need – someone fixing the price of phone calls so that it doesn’t fall to the natural price of $0.00.

Why isn’t there rage directed at the very idea of having to pay a premium for some bits just because we treat those bits as far too special?

And where is the rage at practices such as suppressing the text for caller-ids and replacing it with some computed value? When I forward my ATT VoIP calls I notice different names based on each carriers’ algorithm for guessing the CLID. Supposedly the carriers charge for providing the real information –I don’t have the option of passing my own identifier. This is something that affects us day in and day out when we try to decide whether to answer my phone! (Putting aside basic flaws in the concept of CLID based on the name in the billing record, spoofing etc) I would like to know more about the stated policies and implementation but they are not easy to find.