Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: It's Showtime for Tiered Broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:48:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: August 12, 2008 11:46:54 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   It's Showtime for Tiered Broadband

It only doesn't work when there is an alternative that the consumer can turn to that doesn't offer tiered (I keep reading it as tired) service.

This is not the case in most of the US. I still can not get any wired/ fiber Internet access in the part of Silicon Valley where I live.

And so far, for my new startup right in the center of Mt. View I can only get 1.1Mbps down/768k up DSL or very expensive 1.5Mbps symetrical T1 service. There is no multi-megabit service that I can find that is not in the less than multi-thousand dollar per month range.

The US has become a third world nation in many ways, but particularly in broadband.

Rob