Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Study Gives High Marks to U.S. Internet - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 08:31:42 -0700

From: Robert J. Berger [rberger () ibd com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:29 AM
To: John Markoff
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Study Gives High Marks to U.S. Internet - New York Times

Any assertion that the US has world class internet connectivity for
the majority of its Citizens is bunk.

I normally live in Saratoga, CA, part of Silicon Valley, and where I
live I STILL can not get ANY consumer broadband service. No Cable
Modem, no DSL.

For the next few months, I am living in downtown San Francisco in a high rise
apartment building set among other high rise apartment buildings right
next to a major telecom hub and though we have DSL, its not
particularly fast or anything.

This is the kind of location where in other countries such as Japan or
S. Korea they have fiber to the building and ethernet to the
apartments at 100M - 1G.

Instead we should have a baseline attitude more like Professor Payne's
as per the earlier post on IPer's list:

"Sadly broadband speeds in this country aren't really broadband at
all. I won't be happy until every home has a one gigabit per second
connection," he told BBC News.
He added: "If we were able to afford to dig up the road in the 1980s
to roll out cable TV then we can afford to do it again."

But this time horizontally divested so that the people who own/control
the pipes do not own/control the content.

Rob