Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Study Gives High Marks to U.S. Internet - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 06:54:09 -0700

From: Adam Peake [ajp () glocom ac jp]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 9:16 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Study Gives High Marks to U.S. Internet - New York Times

The headline and opening paragraph are misleading.  The study's not
about the Internet/Internet infrastructure, as the story goes on to
explain it includes a range of economic and other data
(<http://www.insead.edu/v1/gitr/wef/main/analysis/choosedatavariable.cfm>
some of the questions look a little weak.)

Odd, and can see why you'd be skeptical.

Adam

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/09/technology/09internet.html

By JOHN MARKOFF

Published: April 9, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO -- Contradicting earlier studies, conventional wisdom
and politicians' rhetoric, European researchers say that the
Internet infrastructure of the United States is one of the world's
best and getting better.

snip

Some Internet industry veterans were skeptical of the positive
claims about the United States compared with the rest of the world.
"My gut feeling is that we don't have the type of deployment you
have abroad," said David J. Farber, an Internet pioneer and a
professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University. "If you
are looking at broadband, we have a lot of problems. We are slow as
molasses in deploying the next generation."