Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast opens up about how it manages traffic

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:36:43 -0700

From: Henrik B [blondino () gmail com]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 5:27 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Comcast opens up about how it manages traffic

Dear Dave,

Maybe for IP if you think it's appropriate

I find this whole discussion amusing and troubling at the same time.
Comcast is continuously telling us through TV commercials that they
give you 12 Mbit/s and brags about their PowerBoost that makes running
to Peru and back a matter of fractions of a second. And then Mr
Bowling defines an excessive usage as "the equvalent of two T-1
lines". If I recall correctly a T-1 line has throughput of 1.544
Mbit/s, which means that if you use 3 Mbit/s, or 25% of the capacity
that Comcast says that you have, then you are an excessive user.

My opinion is taht if Comcast sells me TCP/IP based Internet
connectivity, then that is what they should give me. If they are
overselling their capacity, which I'm certain that they are, then that
should not be my problem, should it? If they have a problem defining
the product they are selling, it's no wonder that they have a problem
putting a price on it.

In addition, I think USA Today journalists should check what a T-1
line is, rather than just saying "big data lines used by large
corporations."

Henrik Brameus