Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: how does one define "capacity"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:54:33 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:39 PM
To: 'Craig Partridge'; David Farber
Subject: RE: how does one define "capacity"

This is the start of an interesting conversation …

We can argue about the limits from physics but I tend to view those as hypothetical until we get close.

DSL is a more pragmatic example. ADSL is a twenty year old technology. The capacity quadruples if you halve the length.
Ciofi at Stanford argues that he can get many times the capacity within the current constraints of DSL. Of course we
needn’t limit ourselves to those constraints – crosstalk can be your friend.

Information is a complex concept. What is the measure we are using for capacity? Are bits the correct measure or is the
measure something as vague as "entertainment value".  That was the point of http://www.frankston.com/?name=NNSpeed. The
transport doesn’t exist in isolation – it’s value comes from how we use it. That’s the social interpretation of Robert
Laughlin’s A Different Universe. Scale and context matter a lot. I keep pointing out that the Internet Dynamic
(http://www.frankston.com/?name=InternetDynamic) is about discovering what we can do with what is available. Thus
asking the capacity is, in a sense, asking what the capacity of our imagination is.

Of course all of these assumptions reach the level of tragedy when we let regulators take them as givens and they
confuse price with cost. The lawyers should know better – after all they avoid moot cases because of the lack of
advocacy as a push-back.

Perhaps the most insidious idea is the concept of a network itself as a service rather than seeing the particular
technologies as means to facilitate people doing their own networking. I’ve started to compare bit networking to social
networking and providing networks is like arranging marriages. A key lesson of the Internet is that we can create
solutions at the edge – even without a network as such!

We need a real marketplace that can be challenged to discover what is possible – this is the reason for replacing
today’s Regulatorium-defined telecom with compositing connectivity from the edge. The example of the Internet
demonstrates that this can work. And if we look at the post office that separates addressing from naming and thus
greatly simplifies routing and we get rid of the perverse system of peering we can see how we can do very much better.

When I hear someone tell me what is possible – what the capacity is – I want to be able to say “let me try”. Today I
have to limit myself to a choice of offerings from those who are afraid to try lest their business model collapses.