Interesting People mailing list archives

AOL/Microsoft-Hotmail Preventing Delivery of Truthout Communications NOTE DUE TO THEIR REPUTATION djf

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:26:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert Grosshandler" <rob () iGive com>
Date: September 15, 2007 2:30:49 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] AOL/Microsoft-Hotmail Preventing Delivery of Truthout Communications NOTE DUE TO THEIR REPUTATION djf

Reputation isn’t “political or social reputation” when used in this particular context. It refers to the opinions of the receivers’ customers (the e-mail recipient, Hotmail and AOL’s customers) as the “goodness” or “wantedness” of the sender’s missives.

We fight this battle every day. AOL, Yahoo, and Hotmail / MSN are in a league of their own when it comes to policing incoming e-mails, due to the size of their customer bases. If a “lot” of their customers tell them that they are receiving unwanted e-mail from a sender, that sender’s reputation suffers. If a sender utilizes IP addresses that are used to send some other sender’s unwanted e-mail, the sender’s reputation suffers. If a sender sends too much e-mail all at once, the sender’s reputation suffers. If the sender has “unclean” lists, with lots of bounces, their reputation suffers. And so on.

We see very little reputation scoring based upon the content of e-mail.

The solution to Truthout’s problems are probably not political, but mechanical. Each ISP has their own mechanisms for reputation monitoring and compliance, and they’re sometimes challenging (we have problems right now with Centurytel and Barracuda Networks.) But I would dare to guess that so long as they don’t comply with those established, published mechanisms, they’ll be frustrated in their efforts.

If they are able to say that they’ve jumped through those e-mail reputation hoops, and that their bounce rate is low, and that their spam complaint rate is low, and that they handle unsubscribes in a timely fashion, and they’re still being blocked, THEN the political avenue may be the best route to take.

AOL:  http://postmaster.aol.com/
MSN/Hotmail:  https://postmaster.live.com/

Rob

www.iGive.com