Interesting People mailing list archives

AOL/Microsoft-Hotmail Preventing Delivery of Truthout Communications NOTE DUE TO THEIR REPUTATION djf

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:59:21 -0400

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/091307Z.shtml#

    UPDATE: 09.14.07:12:noon:pdt:

We are receiving numerous reports from readers that our communications to them are affected. The reader comments posted below provide valuable additional information.

The most frequent question we are hearing right now is: "What can I do?" NOTHING works better than public pressure. They can ignore us; they can't ignore you.

AOL/Microsoft-Hotmail Preventing Delivery of Truthout Communications

    Thursday 13 September 2007

Currently, AOL- and Microsoft-related email providers, including Hotmail, are preventing delivery of a range of Truthout communications to thousands of our subscribers. Such communications include Truthout's regular newsletters and notifications to our subscribers from individual workstations of Truthout administrators informing those subscribers that they are affected.

For the most part, all other ISPs appear to be delivering Truthout communications normally.

While AOL has been largely evasive and silent about their reasons for blocking communications, our server logs and complaints from subscribers illustrate a clear pattern of interference. Microsoft-Hotmail, while not being forthcoming about their actions to the subscribers involved, have stated to our administrators that they are in fact "throttling" and "blocking" our communications. Further, the Microsoft-Hotmail administrators inform us that they are blocking our communications to Truthout subscribers on their systems due to what they describe as our "reputation."

We believe that you - not your Internet Service Provider - should decide what you will read. In an effort to restore service and send a clear message to the ISPs involved, we ask you to do the following:

1.) Keep us informed. Let us know if your newsletters suddenly stop arriving. We have set up a special email address for those complaints.

2.) It is critically important if it does become clear that you are still on our list, and we are sending to you, that you demand your rights. The only rights you have are the ones you exercise.

We are deeply sorry to all of you affected. But we are confident that this problem can be addressed working hand-in-hand.

    Good luck,

    Marc Ash, Executive Director - t r u t h o u t