Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: For one company, FISA wiretaps carry a $1K pricetag

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:56:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <suresh () hserus net>
Date: October 24, 2007 8:31:40 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Cc: <ken () new-isp net>
Subject: RE: [IP] For one company, FISA wiretaps carry a $1K pricetag

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)

[Note:  This item comes from reader Ken DiPietro.  DLH]

For one company, FISA wiretaps carry a $1K pricetag

You know, there's something any telco or ISP, in fact any organization
dealing with a federal agency, especially a law enforcement agency, does -
and that is establish a standard operations procedure for any kind of
warrant or subpoena compliance.

It is also routine for a processing fee to be paid by the government to
cover some of the costs, at least, of compliance with such a request.
Especially when wiretap infrastructure certainly has a high cost and a good
amount of network (re)engineering to build into a system.

Wiretaps and subpoenas are routine, and older - far older than FISA. And
they will continue to exist as long as criminals (common or garden
criminals, no need to invoke the terrorist bogey here) exist, and as long as
they use phones, faxes, email ..

So, not too surprisingly, phone companies have had processes in place to
handle court orders for wiretaps ever since there have been wiretaps.

It is astonishingly naïve to express surprise that a telco has processes,
and processing fees, in place to handle wiretap requests.

"I think it's more or an interesting nugget" of information,"
Aftergood said. "Even if there are let's say 100 or 200 $1,000
payments (for FISA intercepts) over the course of a year, I think
those would be indistinguishable from the larger revenue stream."

Umm.. guess what it costs to re-engineer a network to comply with wiretaps, to store the "take" from the taps in something that is more reliable than a
USB stick, in a format that has timestamps and checksums, say, to ensure
that it is authenticated and can be used as evidence, and the costs of
maintaining an audit trail for this kind of request, training staff for
compliance and ensuring the confidentiality of / controlling access to such
data.

In fact, there are a whole lot of things that a responsible ISP needs to do
in order to protect its users privacy EXCEPT UNDER DUE PROCESS OF LAW
(unlike that scandal in Greece where the wiretap equipment was misused to
snoop into opposition politicians' cellphones).

All those things cost rather more than pocket change to implement and
maintain. And they invariably involve substantial amounts of work for what is probably the costliest "team" in a telco or ISP - their legal department.

Question FISA if you wish - I do too.  I would rather you turn all this
righteous wrath and indignation in the right direction, rather than accuse
telcos - at least in this case - of profiteering and turning it into a
"revenue stream". For revenue stream it is not, it is a huge time and money
sink.

Further, you will find that most law enforcement agencies are chronically underfunded when it comes to the "operational" side of things - they aren't the easiest to milk by overcharging for routine requests (by which I mean subpoena compliance and wiretaps in general, not FISA - which is simply a
special, and yes, objectionable, case of wiretapping).

        suresh