Interesting People mailing list archives

WHY -- I would STRONGLY read and watch the activities of IPSphere

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:00:57 -0500

THAT’S WHY I SAID WATCH IT. djf

From: Bob Frankston [mailto:bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:30 PM
To: dave () farber net; ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] I would STRONGLY read and watch the activities of IPSphere

There’s no need to read between the lines though it’s less blatant than the
slides I cite in http://www.frankston.com/?name=AssuringScarcity. It’s a
cartel that recognizes that there should be a common infrastructure – so far
so good – but that this infrastructure is owned as a private preserve by the
cartel. The challenge is to taking peering to the next level and provide a
way to divvy up the spoils, oops, I mean settle accounts:” The IPsphere
Framework is designed to support the whole spectrum of possible settlement
scenarios — all mine (Blll[sic] & Keep), all yours, or all ours (if
stakeholders involved in the delivery of a particular service agreed to
share in the revenue produced, to an agreed degree).” Ours means theirs – no
room for the rest of us to participate. Seeing the broadcasters efforts to
go directly to the user Hollywood and other content providers are outside
this world even as they try to corral the traffic into their IPTV streams.

They even acknowledge that the basic idea of telecom no longer makes sense:
“The drive behind the formation of the IPsphere Forum was the recognition
that settlement flow does not correspond to traffic flow on the Internet,
and thus does not provide a framework for viable investment across the
spectrum of infrastructure.”

But they’re like the monkey with its hands in the cookie jar – it can’t
remove the hand until it lets go of the cookies. In this case the blithely
assume that they will retain total control of the physical infrastructure
and unlike the cellular companies they aren’t explicit about the customers
being their worst competition – it’s as if they don’t even understand that
and only need to worry about negotiating with their peers.

I’m skeptical of whether this could work with naïve assumptions like
“Identity authentication and digital rights validation are carried out
automatically.” It sort of reminds me of my Master’s Thesis back in 1974 on
a similar topic but these people are taking it far far too seriously and
don’t acknowledge that there is no honor among these thieves.

The danger is that this is another face of the IMS fantasy world in which
all services converge around the carriers and they redouble their effort to
maintain control while giving it a veneer of rationality.