Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: It's Silicon Valley vs. Telcos in Battle for Wireless Spectrum

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 20:38:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: May 16, 2007 2:09:02 PM EDT
To: "'David P. Reed'" <dpreed () reed com>, "'Bob Frankston'" <bob37-2 () bobf frankston com> Cc: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com, "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () dandin com> Subject: RE: [IP] It's Silicon Valley vs. Telcos in Battle for Wireless Spectrum

If you want to carry a television signal over a long distance then use that darn Internet. The problem is that we have layers upon layers of simplifying assumptions and we pile them on instead of rethinking. This is a key point
in Robert Laughlin's "A Different Universe" (a DPR recommendation).

We tend to solve problems as if they exist in isolation. We do need to
decompose problems in order to deal with them but there isn't a unique
decomposition and we have to be open to rethinking the decomposition.

In the early 1900's the first decomposition was to assume that
"communications" is a unit. We then decomposed that into voice and video. We also had wired vs wireless. The accidental properties of wires led us to use
them for one-to-one communications because they were point to point
connections. Wireless signals couldn't be contained hence they were
broadcast to all. It doesn't help that "radio" and "telephony" are now used to describe business rather than technologies thus making it hard to talk about the basic assumptions separate from the market assumptions. This is
why TV over wires is not treated as a point to point medium -- it was
originally implemented as shared antenna system and our policies continue to
make that implicit assumption.

Today this decomposition is extremely dysfunction. We now understand the
concept of bits as a common representation for information and that is a
very effective point of decoupling as we've seen with the Internet. We can
then use packets to organize the bit transports.

This decoupling of the communications from the bit transport (as in TCP/UDP vs IP) is very hard for people to accept because we base our understanding
on the naïve assumption that we are simply relaying sound waves through
electronic tubes. There is assumption that you must preserve the
relationships between the bits as in isochronous and QoS models. This was a defining assumption for analog telephony and the solution, eventually, was digital telephony and then packet telephony. We treated the answer as way to
make analog telephony work better without using the new understanding to
question whether we were asking the right question in light of our
understanding. Digital technology freed us from the constraint of
isochronicity and thus allowed us to get many orders of magnitude in
improvement (by various measures). But it was an answer the put a lie to the decomposition that defined the industry that asked the question in the first
place and thus they had a stake in failing to understand the answer they
got.

Once you decouple the bits from the interpretation you can view wired and wireless bits indifferently and can dispense with the complexity and expense of slicing and dicing the transports and the use of special kinds of wires
and gear for each particular message.

Yet we continue to argue as if it is still 1934 and every bit is special -
sort of like the $100 Japanese Honeydew Melons but far pricier.

These concepts extend far beyond "telecom" into our basic understanding of
how systems work. The isochronous assumption has a parallel in the
assumption that we have to solve problems as stated and that if any
component fails the system fails. Thus the Y2K scare and the presumption
that we must govern systems lest people do things the "wrong" way -- alas wrong often means finding that we've solved far more interesting problems --
we may have wanted a guidance system for airplanes but we got digital
computers instead. We presume music comes from record companies and not
musicians and thus we preserve a particular industry structure rather than
allowing for musicians to be heard.

Telecom is useful case study because it's a simple problem and the price of
continuing to live in 1900 is higher than we should have to bear.

Too bad this fight over slivers of spectrum is treated as if it were any
more real than the rest of professional wrestling. The entertainment value
doesn't make up for the collateral damage.