Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Strangling the Internet with ID

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 10:15:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Roelof Temmingh <roelof () paterva com>
Date: May 7, 2007 6:48:10 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Strangling the Internet with ID

A response to Lauren....if you wish.

Let me start by saying that I fully agree with what you stand for. It will be indeed a sad day when we have to start providing some kind of ID before Google gives us some results (let's ignore that whole cookie thing for now). But, there is some part of me that understand the need for it. Perhaps...

You have a strong online presence. You have at least 3 email addresses, a blog, and your point of view is well documented on the Internet. But I suspect you are part of small group of people - most of the rest of the world do not have such a strong identity on the net - although the net provides hundreds of ways of establishing your identity and your viewpoint. This means that it would be fairly simple for someone to take over a less "connected" individual's online identity. Register them on a couple of social networks, register an email address here and there, and on some IM chat services. And, in a matter of hours, you own that identity. Do it carefully so that it's not that obvious. And do it over a long period of time. And do it with your target's friends and his/her colleagues, in fact do it with an entire segment of their social/professional sector. This "identity creation" can be automated - save for some nasty captchas. No doubt someone will catch on when doing an ego search, but it now becomes a matter of "who shouts the loudest", and confusion (which could have been the strategy from the start) sets in. When services like LinkedIn and Zoominfo have a line that reads "This is Me", you must know that there is something fundamentally wrong.

If you wake up one fine morning and find that your name has been used in a variety of online forums (with a plausible email address), that you have been created on LinkedIn, Facebook, Orkut, Myspace and Xing, that 'you' are chatting away with unknown people on MSN, Skype and GoogleTalk I am sure that you won't like it - but it won't be the end of the world for you. Because you have been around on the 'net - people know you. You have a track record. But if it was someone else that's less "connected", that use the Internet only for mail (think many many CEOs) I figure they would rather just go back to bed. Especially when a 'track record' has been created for them over months which includes posts/blogs/comments that contain dubious content. I am sure that such a person would look at these service providers and ask "But how come you did not verify that is was really ME!??".

I guess there is no real answer here. Forget privacy issues - service providers that try to enforce the use of a real life ID will not be popular with the generation of instant gratification, and social networks need big numbers to be useful. I think we find ourselves in an akward situation really - on the one hand we know that big corporations and governments love to track every letter we write and every site that we visit, and therefor we try to hide our real identity...but on the other hand we want to make sure that we are who we say we are and that our online identities remains intact.

The Myspace/Facebook generation lives in total ignorance of data collection and correlation. And why not? They grew up in a world where they are constantly watched on CCTVs, they never questioned a cookie that expires in 2038, have friends and family that list their mobile number all over the net, their phone calls are monitored for keywords, they never bothered to think about how Google adds Adswords to their email, etc. etc. And one day we will have IPvX running and RFID implants in everyone's wrist - that communicates to a receiver in the base of every keyboard ever manufactured which in turn instructs the computer to sign every packet that goes out to the 'net - no matter if you at home, office or at a cyber cafe. Oh, and if it's not signed it gets dropped at the switch.

I think this is a likely scenario - if you like it or not - not because of the fear of online identity theft, but because of what's happening in the real world today (FUD) and because of the ease in which the new/next generation is trading their privacy for perceived usefulness and blissful ignorance. Well - at least online identity theft is less likely to be a problem anymore...;)

Regards,
Roelof.