Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: PCs and education

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 18:05:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ken DiPietro <ken () new-isp net>
Date: May 7, 2007 7:57:02 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] PCs and education

Dave,

An few observations, if you feel it would be valuable for list discussion.

Two points I would like to raise for the list's consideration.

1.) Given the price of textbooks and their rapid obsolescence, would laptops employed as a complete replacement for textbooks (E-Books) be a better investment?

2.) While we can readily accept that the benefit to education of these laptops might have been negligible, is it the technology or the inherent inability to the current educational system to correctly apply this technology that should be held accountable?

As a personal observation, it would seem that the inherent distractions we have seen in the workplace (employees checking personal email, reading news, etc.) would indicate that computers might not have any value in the workplace, if we were to follow this same logic.

Respectfully,

Ken DiPietro
New-ISP/NextGenCommunications

Begin forwarded message: