Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: How to Avoid the $2/month for not making long distance calls

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 14:03:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: May 6, 2007 11:43:21 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] How to Avoid the $2/month for not making long distance calls

Rob:

Your experience is the reason why so many of our users come to us,
a wireless ISP, for service. They wish to "cut the cord" to the
telephone company (which still swaggers like a monopoly) and to
the cable company, and can do this via cellular phones and
satellite TV. But to complete the wireless picture, they need
wireless Internet, and that's where we come in. While the telcos,
with their vast lobbying resources and deep pockets for political
contributions, are seeking to squelch us in every way they can,
we still get calls daily from prospective customers who are fed
up. Because we live in an area where winters are long (we had
an inch of snow just yesterday), we often can't get them online
as fast as we like and have a week or more of backlog. But we
certainly do our best to help them cut loose as soon as we can.

--Brett Glass, LARIAT.NET