Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC proceedings terminations -- I concur djf

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 16:16:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: May 5, 2007 1:57:19 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] FCC proceedings terminations

[Note:  This item comes from reader David Reed.  DLH]

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: May 5, 2007 9:28:00 AM PDT
To: dewayne-net () warpspeed com
Subject: FCC proceedings terminations

I have to say that as a former member of the FCC TAC, I'm saddened to see the termination of initiatives focused on helping the regulations track the rapid innovations in the radio technology field.

Politically, however, it is unsurprising. The FCC has aggressively replaced all of its seasoned people over the past couple of years, especially its seasoned technologists. One wonders whether the same process being used to replace career civil servants with politically- loyal Republicans has been going on there as it has been at the Justice Department, apparently.

In particular, the relatively modest proceeding focused on improving receiver quality to track what modern electronic systems are easily able to do would have made a huge improvement in eliminating much of the discussion about "interference", since much of the regulatory argumentation in practice is about "harm" to systems that are obsolete or hypothetical, such as ancient black and white tube television receivers designed in a way that no manufacturer would ever design such a system.

Implementing policy intelligently needs a core of scientific expertise and scientific debate and discussion. The FCC seems to be controlled by economists and lawyers who do not want input from scientists - instead they seem to like input from high-tech corporate leaders, who may or may not be scientists, but definitely have points of view not driven by science.