Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Facebook smackdown

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 14:55:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brock N. Meeks" <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: May 5, 2007 2:39:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] approve:sigmanu Facebook smackdown

Leavitt asks "what's new here" and rolls on to with the profound
proclamation: "...almost any venture capitalist, professional angel investor or tech company board member" has ties "to the military industrial complex."

Which is like saying, "every president in the recent history has had to lie, fudge the truth and deceive the public in the name of national security." As if just because it's common place we should all just shut up and take it.

Bullshit, Leavitt.

As for the larger point you make, that if you really want your information
private just keep it off the Internet, you're doing nothing more than
recycling the old Washington maxim: "Don't put anything in writing that you
don't want to show up on the front page of the Washington Post."

So, we just suck it up and take it? Too many of the old war horses in the fight to preserve some kind privacy online have too many bruises to just let
things be; which is why it's important to keep pressing on issues like
Facebook, to keep track of the relationships and expose, regardless of
whether or not the information "is new."

If we let this stuff just sink into the flotsam and jetsam of cyberspace
then we have surrendered whatever hope we have of keeping our heads above
water when it comes to privacy.

So, while Leavitt wants to play parlor games with Kevin Bacon, others among
us will continue to connect the dots and draw the pictures for everyone
else, so that at least when someone rolls over our privacy, we'll have at
least seen it coming.

--Brock