Interesting People mailing list archives

Verizon Charges $2/month for not making long distance calls

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 14:54:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Glover <eric () ericglover com>
Date: May 5, 2007 1:51:15 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, frisbee2 () yahoogroups com
Subject: Verizon Charges $2/month for not making long distance calls

http://reporternews.com/news/2007/may/03/phone-companies-levy-new-fee- not-making-calls/

Phone companies levy new fee for not making calls

John Murawski / Raleigh News & Observer
Thursday, May 3, 2007

Phone bills are notorious for rankling customers with fees, taxes, tariffs and other mystery assessments.

Now some phone companies are adding a new line item to monthly bills: a charge for not making long-distance calls.

The category of customers affected by the new fee is the shrinking subset of people who have no-frills home-phone service and don't pay for a long-distance-calling plan.

Verizon last month introduced the $2 fee. It is charged to customers who could dial out for long distance, but don't subscribe to a long- distance service and don't make long-distance calls.

Durham, N.C., retiree Daniel Bius discovered the $2 charge on his April bill. He says he has no use for Verizon's long-distance calling plan because he makes long-distance calls on his cell phone.

"Even though I don't have a plan with them, they say I still have the ability to make a long-distance call if I ever need to, so I have to pay them $2 a month?" Bius said. "What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to pay them $2 for no reason?"