Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 12 Important U.S. Laws Every Blogger Needs to Know

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 05:36:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brad Templeton <btm () templetons com>
Date: May 4, 2007 9:22:26 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: smb () bellovin org
Subject: Re: [IP] 12 Important U.S. Laws Every Blogger Needs to Know

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () bellovin org>
Date: May 4, 2007 2:15:25 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net

For IP, if you wish.

Someone sent me a link to http://www.avivadirectory.com/blogger-law/
It's interesting reading.  I'd be curious to hear the opinions of
various attorneys on its recommendations.

Well, Dave the EFF has had for some time a detailed site on blogging law
prepared by our lawyers.

    http://www.eff.org/bloggers/lg/

You might get some more detailed notes on the aviva page from a real
lawyer, but I will note that it is a touch too conservative (as lawyers
are trained to be) when it recommends that you should do things like
"always include in your terms of use that you will disclose all user
personal information to requesting authorities" and "never simply blow
off the fact that someone has stolen your work."   In fact, while there
is nothing wrong with telling people they have done so, copyright is not
lost because you don't defend it vigourously enough -- that's an attribute
sometimes found in trademark law.