Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 12 Important U.S. Laws Every Blogger Needs to Know

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 05:35:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Morris <jmorris () cdt org>
Date: May 4, 2007 10:16:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [IP] Re: 12 Important U.S. Laws Every Blogger Needs to Know

Dave,

For IP if you wish....

From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin () law miami edu>
Date: May 4, 2007 6:01:13 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
<snip>
While being over-cautious will certainly keep you out of trouble, there's over-cautious and waaay over-cautious.

Most of these rules could be summarized as "Don't lie. And be very honest and transparent." Which is good advice, but could be said more simply.
<snip>

On quick review I agree with Michael's comments and concerns about the list, and would go farther to say that some of the advice given is so overly cautious that is crosses the line to being bad advice. Rule 7(3) for example would (if followed by all) largely destroy anonymity on the Internet. Anonymity is legal and constitutionally protected, and there are certainly many discussion fora where anonymity is quite appropriate (such as, for instance, a teen-focused safe sex discussion group).

Similarly, Rule 8(2) recommends that a site turn over all user personal information "to requesting authorities" -- which sure sounds like a suggestion that the site turn over info even if the "authorities" do not in fact have a court order or other legal authority to obtain the information. Certainly some sites may choose to follow the 8(2) recommendation, but I bet that the great majority of Internet users believe that governments should follow the law, including laws governing government access to information.

Finally, as a 13th or 14th item, I would suggest that if a blog engages in extensive political speech or receives money (for ads or coverage, etc.) from a campaign, the blogger should be aware of the applicable Federal Election Commission rules. For the most part, bloggers and individual speakers on the Internet are exempt from the rules, but a site operator should be generally aware of the rules nevertheless. See http://www.netdemocracyguide.org/ for a detailed discussion of the rules.

John Morris

John B. Morris, Jr.
Staff Counsel
Director, Internet Standards, Technology
   & Policy Project
Center for Democracy and Technology
1634 I Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006