Interesting People mailing list archives

U.S. colleges retool programming classes - Yahoo! News

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 20:55:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew C Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: May 28, 2007 8:46:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] U.S. colleges retool programming classes - Yahoo! News

Interesting read.

I have found (having worked as a regular joe employee at several universities) the faculty in general not interested in teaching at all. Marshall Brain (founder of http://www.howstuffworks.com) was denied tenure at my particular employer university because his availability to students threatened other professors' appearance in the community (yes, he was dropped in a slightly more polite way, but you get the idea, he was far too popular among staff and students). I can only imagine the cringe on the department head's forehead when he recently appeared on Oprah. Good Job Dr. Brain:)

I attended a small college, where class sizes maxed out at 15-20 students typically, and an "real live(tm)" Ph.D. taught each and every class. Professors were available to students, and the student to teacher ratio was low enough that this interpersonal communication was not a burden on faculty. The focus at my particular university was in fact education. Mine was a double major in math and CS. Turns out, my background in math is of more value in my career.

Perhaps it is time to reevaluate how undergraduate education is taught, content aside, to reward professors with tenure track positions for teaching, and producing outstanding graduates. Even better, should it not be almost trivial to produce a matrix which evaluates how many undergrads go onto graduate school and determine which faculty inspire the students to reach for the gold?

Now, here in NJ, former home of former bell labs and all the good brainpower formerly associated with it, high school counselors are telling students "don't major in CS/EE/etc" because of the horrible treatment the average programmer gets on the job; no job loyalty, long hours, lousy benefits. I realize star performers in just about any field in addition to star companies are exempted from that low standard, but the standard is low nonetheless.

At one former Lucent spinoff, currently the process is called "shadowing" where an overseas employee shadows you around for 6 months, learns your job, and you then receive your pink slip.

My young cousin is in law school now. He wanted to be a programmer, but I would not lie to him about his future in an industry that essentially does not offer potential for longer term gain (sans a very small minority of the industry).

During the economic expansion, IT and related industries have seen salaries stagnate or decline, employers outsource, and employees left holding the empty bag.

It truly feels like a 180 degree turnaround from the day in the early 1990's when I joined bell labs, and the level of disinvestment in the industry has produced the mediocre results we see in products throughout the marketplace.

Just the view from here.

Cheers,
andy

David Farber wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070527/ap_on_hi_te/ reprogramming_programmers
*
U.S. colleges retool programming classes*
By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press Writer
Sun May 27, 6:33 PM ET
ATLANTA - The lesson plan was called "Artificial Unintelligence," but it was written more like a comic book than a syllabus for a serious computer science class. "Singing, dancing and drawing polygons may be nifty, but any self- respecting evil roboticist needs a few more tricks in the repertoire if they are going to take over the world," read the day's instructions to a dozen or so Georgia Tech robotics students.
<snip>
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Archives <http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/=now> <http:// v2.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/> [Powered by Listbox] <http://www.listbox.com>